Friday 29 June 2007

t-53 days: Moving Out

So it is my last day in Newcastle. At 5:40pm today, my train will leave Newcastle, heading to sunny Inverness, where I will spend the next six 57 days panicking and stressing (with some full time working thrown in for good measure).

It's really quite sad to be leaving this flat, my first year flat was awful and I was hardly ever there, but this flat has become an actual home. Even the things that are wrong with it, I no longer mind. I'm used to the sofa that has a big dip on the right hand side. That funny dip in the floor in the living room. The 'knack' required to flush the toilet. It wouldn't be home without them.

And so I'm going to back to my natal home (not quite true, that would be somewhere else in Inverness, and I'm fairly certain people I don't know live there now), never to see some Newcastle people again, some I'll see in a year. One I'll see for the entire year in between.

Some things I'll miss about Newcastle as a city: I know where everything is. Bagel Of The North. Regulars at work. And in the past two weeks I've discovered a whole bunch of new things (Red Box Gallery anyone? Didn't know that entire BUILDING existed until last night, and it's HUGE). My friend Mike's bar, Fusion. But some things I won't miss: The chavs. The weather (windiest city ever? I believe so). That horrifically ugly building at the bottom of Northumberland Street.

Then there's the things I'll miss about Britain: Starbucks (I know, I know), Spanish cinema, knowing the currency and the going rate for things, the shops where I buy all my clothes, Lindt chocolate, books and reading for pleasure (while I can do that in China, I'm restricted to one suitcase, and I imagine english language novels will not be overly common).

And of course, the things I won't miss: The music. Dear God, the music. The last three songs on the radio have made me want to impale myself on the aerial. The close-minded culture and the racial stereotyping. TV. Ridiculously expensive things that are only expensive because British people will pay that much. Bring on my rent which will be around £270 for the year.

Today's Fearometer Rating: 9

4 comments:

Nicki said...

Image? Is that NickiLiam style word shortening or just a typo? Either way it made me miss you :(
xx

Anonymous said...

Did you just say that your rent was about an equivalency of $540 USD per year?! Dear Lord, I am MOVING to the UK then.

It's over $1,000 per month in NYC. Easily. Why do you think I live on-campus (they feed me and give me shelter + utilities for a bit over $10k per year)?

I never want to hear you complain about rent again :p

Liam said...

Nicki: What?

Rachel: My rent will be $500 in China, which includes utilities but no food. Whilst in the UK, my rent was $500 a month, plus utilities and food and things. Newcastle is quite cheap though, one newspaper did a list of cities by cost of living, against an index of 100. Newcastle was 95.4. London was 180something. London is so expensive that the government give you extra funding if you go there.

H said...

Newcastle is the windiest city? Damn, Doris Day has been lying to me all these years. What a bitch.