Saturday 7 July 2007

t-44 days: No More Fear(tm)

Today is a completely fear free days in terms of going to the Middle Kingdom. I couldn't even tell you why.

Last night, I booked my train tickets to go to Manchester to get my Visa (if the bloody documents ever arrive), so that's one less thing to worry about. Until we have documents from the university telling us when we can move into our rooms there, we can't really book our flights from 北京 (Beijing) to 乌鲁木齐(Urumchi). Although thinking about it, we could book the flights (they're already 2680元,about 175 english pounds*) and stay in a hotel in Urumchi (阿涵,what thinkest thou?)

Also, hotels for 北京, tai exciting le. I've found some AMAZING family run hostel type dealies for around ten to fifteen pounds per night right in the centre, private room and bathroom. They have great reviews as well (in varying degrees of english).

Which is a thing I don't like about China. With the Olympics coming up, the Chinese government are trying to stamp out chinglish, which is a shame. I mean, "Small Heart, Don't Walk On The Grass" is just cute, and I have no objections to standing at an Enjoy Stand (viewpoint). "To take notice of safe: The slippery are very crafty." Okay, so I'd fall on my ass, not realising that it meant the floor was slippery, but still, it's fun. We can't stand the sight of mattress fragrant grass. I could go on.

Obviously, "Deformed" or "Crippled" for "Disabled" (Or "differently abled" if we're to be PC in an American way) isn't too good, but when they're still using words like 'steek (to close, of a door)' and 'to blue (to blow in modern english),' who can blame them?

Today's Fearometer Rating:0

*correct at time of writing (exchange rate 1GBP=15.2852CNY)

2 comments:

MommyHeadache said...

Ah what a bummer that they are stamping it out, Chinglish sounds like it gives tourists a few laughs. Have a good trip!

Xi Han said...

Xiao Gao, while liking your idea I need a lot of time for tourism in the North Capital. I say we wait on our acceptance letters and hopefully with said letters will come information about our accommodation and moving in dates etc. We could stay a day or twon in a Xinjiang hotel though if necessary - perhaps in the Uighur quarter, if they exist? Hao a? Ooh and you've probably already read this, knowing you, but thought you'd find this more interesting than most:
http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/wjzc/zygx/t209930.htm