Friday 13 July 2007

t-39 days: To-do list

So, people keep asking if I'm all organized and ready to go to The Middle Kingdom. In a word: no.

Things I still have to do:

  • Get a medical. Do. Not. Want. You have to get an ECG, an AIDS test and all sorts. It better not be really expensive, because I have to get one in China as well (I was supposed to just get one there, but the consulate here won't accept that (see previous posts panicking about this).


  • Get my documents from 新疆师范大学 (Xinjiang Normal University. Why 师范 is translated to Normal is beyond me, it means "teacher-training."). Nothing I can do to expedite that, but I am still sitting stressing about it.


  • Get my visa. Cannot be done without the previous two. But still a stressful experience, as I have to go to Edinburgh which means getting a bus at 7:10 in the morning, and coming back a few hours later (and it's like, 3 and a half hours each way. So for those who think Inverness is right by Edinburgh, you're wrong. Really, really wrong). On two separate days.


  • Book accomodation in Beijing. We're staying in Beijing for a week before going to 烏魯木齊/乌鲁木齐, so we need somewhere to stay. We have seen a place we both really like (we being 熙涵 and I), but until we know when we can move into our room in 新疆师范大学,we can't do anything about that.


  • Book flights from 北京 to 烏魯木齊/乌鲁木齐, but again, can't do that yet.


  • Work out how to send money to China. This just requires a call to the bank or similar, but I also need to work out how much and when to send money there. I know there are charges, and I would like to avoid them, but without leaving myself skint. Gah.


  • Pack. This one can wait. Hurrah!


So no, I'm not ready, please don't ask, because I might 哭.

Making this list has increased the Fearometer rating:

Today's Fearometer Rating:7

3 comments:

H said...

Have no fear! It'll be brill!

I do enjoy your posts full of weird pictograms*; it reminds me of when I was 7 and I didn't understand words in the Famous Five.


* sorry I don't know the right word, cut me some slack, I've been drinking for four hours on account of my boyfriend getting divorced.

Anonymous said...

" i might 哭" just made me laugh so hard.

you sounded more and more like a chinese :D

Xi Han said...

小高,你有 readers that aren't me! Moving up in the world! (",)