Saturday 18 August 2007

t-3 (aka not enough) days: My itinerary

For those who didn't know, this is how the next two weeks(ish) will go:

Tuesday 21st: Fly from Inverness to London, stay overnight in a hostel.

Wednesday 22nd: Fly from London to Dubai, then Dubai to Beijing.

Thursday 23rd: Arrive in Beijing, go to hostel.

Friday 24th - Thursday 30th: Party it up, Beijing stylee. I'm down wif da yoof, doncha know.

Thursday 30th: Fly to Urumqi from Beijing, find a hostel to stay in.

Friday 31st: Register with the university, and move into student accommodation.

Saturday 1st onwards: Party it up, Urumqi stylee (See above re: yoof).

I have discovered this morning that blogger blogs and various other websites are definitely blocked in China. However, blogger.com is NOT, nor is the google.com reader, so while I will still read your blogs, I will be unable to comment on them, but will email when it's an important comment (aka almost never). Also, to join my mailing list (haha) to read things which I probably shouldn't mention on here for fear of the Chinese authorities beating me, send me an email to Xinjiang diaries (no space) at google mail (again, no space) dot com.

I also bought some books today, which I may not be allowed to take into the country. It doesn't appear on any "Banned books" lists I can find, but that might be because it's available in all the world, and it hasn't been published in China. I might try to read it before getting on the plane to China then post it back to my Inverness address just to make sure. Or maybe I'll take it, and if they confiscate it, I can always buy another copy when I get back to HeroLand or PerillaLineOrchid (England/Britain and Scotland, respectively). For those who were too scared to ask, a perilla is a herb used in Japanese cooking, related to basil and mint.

Today's Fearometer Rating:9

2 comments:

Xi Han said...

3 days. Excuse me while I go vomit up my remaining courage.

Anonymous said...

have a safe trip, Liam!!! email me!